Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Story 2 - Love is to Trust

Jiju, will you stop lying to my didi. Oh c'mon i myself saw that girl in your arms. And you stroking her hair sitting at India Gate. Ruchi, please will you shut up, is this the way you have been taught to speak to elders, Riya shouted at her younger sibling. Riya, i am going to my room, my head is aching very badly Sudhir complained. Riya rushed to her husband aide and as he lied down on bed, quitely swtiched on the AC and closed the doors behind her.

Didi, you are a dumb ass, in this era of modern woman, it is only because of females like you, man like Sudhir are able to cheat and also get away with it easily. I am ashamed to be called you sister. Bang!, and Ruchi left. The sun was about to set, with bird returning their home after a day's of hard work. With a heavy heart she went to kitchen to start cooking the dinner. Sudhir likes fish curry. I will cook some today. On one stove she kept some white rice for boiling and sat on a chair to marinate the fish.

Sudhir, my head is spinning badly please i need some medicine. Riya my love come here, come to me, lie down on my lap and let me stroke your hair. Oh will that make my headache go. Sudhir looking hurt said, Riya you don't trust me? She smiled and put her head on his lap and sat down near his feet. Sudhir gently hummed a beautiful bengali song and stroked ever so gently Riya's long tresses until he could hear breath going heavy and she slumbering off. Sudhir gently picked Riya and made her lie down on bed. Around 11 pm when Riya woke up; hear headache was gone, she saw Sudhir was lying near him and looking at her. He gave her a glass of milk to drink; and started stroking her hair again. Riya had the most peaceful sleep that night.

Whistle from the cooker made Riya jump on the chair and the marinated fish almost fell to the ground. Sudhir in knick of time caught it and gave it to Riya. He saw her eyes were brimming with big tears. Riya my love, Sudhi just give me a few minutes i will be back. And she locked herself in the loo, allowing tears of hurt to flow freely. When she came out; Sudhir was laying down the food on the table and gleefully said, Hey Riya you had marinated the fish well, even my cooking had made it tastier, come let us eat. I am not hungry Sudhir, why what happened. I am having a headache. Oh come sit near me i will make it vanish. How Sudhir by stroking my hair as you were doing today at India gate with that girl. Sudhir heart missed a beat, with hurt in his eyes he looked at his wife, Riya you don't trust me. I dont know Sudhir, i am going to catch some sleep. Good night.

The next morning, Riya woke up and saw a note near her bed. One of the old habits of Sudhir to leave such note when he had to leave to office early. But it was only 6 am!. Riya i have some work in office, will be late in night. Love Sudhir. She tore the note apart and went to sleep again. It was almost 11 am when Riya woke up. She went to kitchen to get herself a cup of tea. As she neared the fridge to take out milk; she saw a note sticking there. She sat down to read it on the table.

My dear Riya, your anger is justified about me; but what is not is your distrust in me. In this last 11 years of our marriage i never ever lied to you. But you chose to believe your sister acquisition without listening to my side of story. I know you will not listen to me; so this is the only mode of communication i thought you will allow me to be heard. Riya, do you remember when we first met, near the bus stop it was raining heavily in mumbai. You were soaked from head to toe and was trying to cover yourself by some books in your hand. Slowly we started meeting and we got married. Many years passed, Riya. I always thought of us starting a family but you use to always refuse. We shifted to Delhi, as you didn't liked in Mumbai. One day I received an email, from someone, who was wanting to meet me. She said she is someone from the past. That was the first time i met her. She had lovely black eyes; and long silky tresses like you Riya. We sat over a cup of coeffe and from that day I use to always see her on a daily basis. I am sorry i didn't reveal this to you. I was not sure about it Riya until yesterday. But now i am sure. When i told her about the incident at our house she insisted on meeting you. I couldn't refuse. I believe it is time for things to be clear for everyone's betterment. Life is too short Riya to spend in distrust and unhappiness. Your's Sudhir.

Numbed by the letter of Sudhir's confession to his cheating, Riya got up and went to take bath. She didn't took off her clothes just sat down beneath the running tap water. Her tears mixing with running water hours passed. The tap dried, a sudden chill made Riya come back to her senses. She got up, changed her clothes and wore a white saari. she didn't dressed her usual colorful self. Today there were no colors in her life. She then sat near the mandir in the house and closed her eyes in prayer.

Riya, riya, get up. Sudhir was standing near her. Oh! how much time is it. It is about to be 7, what you have not eaten anything since morning, and why are you wearing this color. How does it matter to you Sudhir? It matters Riya i am still your husband and i love you please. Oh! you love me and what about the other women of your coffee evenings? Riya, my dear. Please Sudhir don't talk to me. Just leave me alone. Enough , i won't let you treat him so badly. Shaken Riya looked up. . Who are you?  and how dare you enter my house? With this as Riya moved to push the girl away Sudhir caught her hand. How many times Riya will you throw the child out from your life. Hearing child, Riya stopped still. She looked again at the girl, must be around 16,  her eyes were of the same color as hers; and her hair same texture.

Suddenly her past struck her and she fainted. Juhi rushed to her mother's aid and Sudhir to his wife. They supported her and made her lie down on bed. Mumma head is hot; i think she has fever. Hmm.. let's us just put a blanket over her and let her get some sleep. Come, you must be famishing, i will cook something for you Juhi. Around 10, Riya woke up hearing noises from the kitchen. She went there, and caressed Juhi's hair. Beta, oh mom.. and they both hugged. When Riya was 17 years old, she had fallen in love with his neighbour son, and was stupid enough to have unsafe sex. Finding herself pregnant and ashamed of her act she left her home in delhi and got a job in mumbai. There she stayed with her friend, and gave birth to a daughter whom she left near an orphaned ashram and never looked back. Then after a few years she met Sudhir and got married to him. What Riya never told Sudhir was that she came to knew much later that she can now never be pregnant and she also hid from him the fact about having a daughter earlier. Where as Sudhir has never lied to her. Riya couldn't meet Sudhir's eye. Sensing her embarrassment, he went and just hugged her close, Juhi joined the two.

Didi, what you are still hugging your unfaithful hudband! and who is this girl? Riya, looked up at her fanatic over caring sister Ruchi and looking back at Suhir and Juhi, they all three started laughing.  


No comments:

Post a Comment